What Makes Us Unique:
- Africare is the oldest and the largest African-American led organization in the development field, and is a leader in development assistance and humanitarian aid to Africa.
- Since its founding in 1970, Africare has delivered more than $1 billion in assistance to millions of beneficiaries across the African continent.
- Africare’s staff has an unparalleled knowledge of the continent – its challenges and opportunities – and has nurtured valuable relationships with key figures ranging from community leaders and traditional authorities to presidents and prime ministers.
- Africare’s approach places active participation of the communities at the center of development and designs programs to form partnerships with local organizations that will ensure effective institutional strengthening and capacity building.
- Africare’s coverage is among the widest and deepest of any organization working in Africa and represents over 2,500 projects in 36 countries Africa-wide.
(Photo: Adam Finck)
"Africare's work begins where the road ends."
For four decades, Africare has traveled to 36 countries across the continent of Africa, moving through every imaginable terrain to reach communities where the needs are greatest.
Today, under the leadership of Dr. Darius Mans, more than 90 Africare programs reach families and communities in 18 nations in Sub-Saharan Africa.